Welcome! This is your first step in being a part of our volunteer family! As a volunteer you will receive free entry to the festival for the entire day of your shift, free parking and shuttle, and 10% off camping at River’s Edge Campground. Most importantly, you will be supporting a major fundraiser for Wilkes Community College. The benefits from this festival to our students and community are too many to list! Your support is greatly appreciated. In other words, you ROCK!
First, you will want to check out the different kinds of Volunteer Opportunities we offer. After you’ve read all the fun things you can do, fill out the online volunteer application. If you have any questions or need assistance filling out the application, please give our volunteer coordinator a call at 336-838-6262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer applications will open on October 1, 2023.
- 18 years of age or older
- Courteous and polite
- Application with recent photo
Attention: Volunteer Coordinator
P.O. Box 120
Wilkesboro, NC 28697
All volunteers who fail to report to a scheduled shift without notifying the MerleFest volunteer coordinator will not be scheduled for the next festival.
- Be on time for shift check-in and work assignments. Plan enough time for transportation to and from campus.
- Check in at three locations in this order: (1) Volunteer Check-in, (2) Flattop’s Getaway, and (3) at your work site with the team leader (for regular volunteers) or stage manager (for stage crew volunteers).
- Check in for your volunteer shift at least 30 minutes prior to your shift starting time.
- Work your entire shift. If released by the team leader or stage manager, check in with the volunteer team leader at Flattop’s Getaway for reassignment during your shift.
- Notify the volunteer team leader/Flattop’s Getaway immediately if there are any changes in your availability to work your assigned shift once the festival begins.
- Be familiar with volunteer job descriptions and guidelines. See below.
- Attend the volunteer training session prior to the festival (preferable) or on-site during the festival. Pre-festival training will be held Wednesday before the festival at 6:00 p.m. under the Dance Tent.
- Make arrangements for childcare prior to arriving on duty. Children are not allowed to accompany their parents to work/volunteer.
- Volunteers should bring sunscreen, insect repellent, rainwear, comfortable closed-toe shoes, warm clothing for cool nights, and a flashlight (if on a night shift).
- Hospitality volunteers must wear hat, hairnet, or hair restraint if handling food. No tank tops or sleeveless shirts are allowed. No sandals or open-toe shoes. If requirements are not met, the volunteer assignment will be changed.
- Stage crew volunteers must wear MerleFest volunteer stage crew t-shirt while on duty. Only one shirt will be provided, so please wear the shirt only during scheduled hours. Stage crew volunteers must wear closed-toe shoes, no sandals. Stage crew relief volunteers are also required to wear closed-toe shoes.
Below are the many different areas for our volunteers. You can list your top 3 choices in the Volunteer Application, so be sure to read what each area is all about!